AQA GCSE Dance specification, Phoenix Dance Theatre
Shadows by Christopher Bruce
Phoenix Dance Theatre is thrilled to be featured in the new national AQA GCSE Dance curriculum from September 2016.
Shadows, choreographed by iconic British choreographer Christopher Bruce, was premiered by Phoenix in November 2014 and is now included in the GCSE Dance Anthology of professional set works.
To support the learning in GCSE centres across the UK, the Access and Education team are pleased to offer the following range of packages held in venues across the UK and at our base in Leeds.
Providing insight into the work, tailored to the requirements of the GCSE Dance specification, the digital resource includes:
- The full film of Shadows, shot in The Nuffield Theatre, Lancaster
- Rehearsals Revealed with interviews from Christopher Bruce and behind the scenes footage
- Detailed breakdown of the costume, setting, lighting and accompaniment with clear links to choreographic intention
- Comprehensive analysis of the movement vocabulary, highlighting actions, space, dynamics and relationships with clear links to choreographic intention
- Pupil worksheets to support learning and prepare students for written assessment
- Creative tasks to explore themes from the work practically in the studio
Workshops in schools (for students)
Led by current or ex-company dancers, workshops based on Shadows are available to book to give students further insight into the piece with a particular focus on movement language. Workshops will aim to:
- Introduce Phoenix Dance Theatre’s company history
- Build participant’s contemporary dance technique
- Introduce choreographic theme and intention of Shadows
- Discuss production features including set, costume, lighting and music
- Demonstrate key phrases from Shadows
- Teach students material from the work
- Q&A about the devising process
CPD workshops for teachers
Led by our experienced Officers, CPD training for teachers is available to book in order to support staff in their delivery of the GCSE Dance syllabus. Sessions will include items outlined above, in addition to:
- Further details of Shadows, in line with AQA syllabus
- Refresher of choreographic and performance skills, in line with AQA syllabus
- Tasks (both theoretical and practical) that can be used to develop students’ learning within the course
All workshops are available as either full-day or half-day instalments, working with no more than 25 participants per workshop. We are able to tailor our delivery to the needs of each school and are happy to run two workshops back to back with one GCSE group followed by any other group of your choosing (GCSE, A-Level, BTEC or KS3).
Inside Phoenix@Home, Shadows
A unique opportunity to visit the company at our home in Leeds and work with them for an intensive day, including:
- Performance of Shadows in the Stanley & Audrey Burton Theatre
- Workshops for students (led by company dancers)
- CPD workshops for teaching staff
- Access to the Digital Resource to continue the learning during school time
Inside Phoenix@Home, Shadows will take place at three points throughout the academic year, dates tbc. This offer is open to groups of up to 25 students and two teachers, up to six schools will share the day.
To submit an order for the Digital Resource or for further information about the workshop packages on offer, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information regarding the GCSE Dance course, please visit the AQA website.