STAY Masterclass 2015 Live with… in order to provide professional development opportunities for minority artists in our region. The idea is simple. We find 10 dancers (through application and audition) who will be taken through a 3 hour dance masterclass with Sharon Watson. Our unique and exciting masterclass takes place on West Yorkshire Playhouse’s main stage, in front of a live audience – it doesn’t get much better than that!
21st July, 6.30pm @ West Yorkshire Playhouse, Quarry Theatre
If you are a budding dance artist, choreographer, a teacher, theatre maker, practitioner or someone who is simply curious as to what happens behind closed doors in Sharon’s rehearsals, then you should definitely come along!
This is an opportunity to see a behind the scenes creative process. Dancers will experience the challenge of delivering a technical class based on the principles of the Graham technique, delivered with an emphasis on physical delivery and precision. This is a rare look at how the dancer builds strength and articulation within the body. Featuring live percussion, the dancers will have the additional challenge of playing with musicality and dynamics through vigorous exercises that have made the Phoenix Dancers so aesthetically distinctive.
The second part of this class will be devising material. Bringing to the physical ideas that help to form the basis of a new work. The process of taking an idea and delving into the possibilities of what this could be. It’s a physical journey to sourcing key elements that gives Watson her creative signature.
The evening will be rounded off with a Q&A session giving you a chance to ask any burning questions you may have about what you’ve seen or anything more general.
- Email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Masterclass Live with Sharon Watson” as the title:
- A relevant CV
- A headshot (jpeg separate to CV)
- Links to online clips (max 2)
- A covering letter introducing yourself, where you are in your career, why you wish to participate in the masterclass and what you hope to gain from the experience.
- Fill in this Equal Opportunities Form (your application will not be accepted without it)
STAY (Sustained Theatre Artists Yorkshire) is an organisation created to celebrate cultural diversity therefore we strongly urge minority artists to apply.
- Deadline: Monday 29th June, 12noon
- Auditions: Saturday 4th July, must be available all day
- Confirmation: Monday 6th July
- Masterclass 2015 LIVE with Sharon Watson: 21st July, must be available all day